Resident Return Visa

Resident Return Visa Australia

Resident Return Visa

What is the Resident Return Visa

Only Australian citizens have an automatic right of entry to Australia. If you are a non-citizen returning to Australia you are required to have a re-entry visa.


Normally, permanent residents can use their permanent resident visa to travel abroad and return to Australia for up to five years from the date the visa was granted. After five years, permanent resident must obtain a Five Year Resident Return visa in order to re-enter the country.


Resident Return Visa requirement


  • you must have spent 2 years, within the last 5 living in Australia and be:
  • an Australian permanent resident
  • a former Australian permanent resident whose last permanent visa was not cancelled
  • a former Australian citizen who lost or resigned your citizenship


How long is the Resident Return Visa valid?


Resident Return visas (subclass 155) have a 5 year validity if you meet the two year residence requirements. If you have not met the requirements yet still have a have a strong need to travel you may qualify for a 3 month Resident Return Visa subclass 157.

Apply for Resident Return Visa

Applications for a Resident Return visa can be made from inside or outside Australia. You will require Form 1085


Documents for Resident Return Visa Australia


  • Certified copies of your passport
  • Evidence of your past or present permanent resident visa
  • Proof or residence requirement OR
  • Reason for having not met the residence requirement yet still having ties to Australia

Resident Return Visa Processing Time


Processing times for the Resident Return Visa are the fastest in Australia:


  • If you have Permanent Status and apply inside Australia: 1 day
  • If you have Permanent Status and apply outside Australia: 14 days
  • If you are a former permanent resident applying inside Australia: 6 months
  • If you are a former permanent resident applying outside Australia: 9 months


What is the Resident Return Visa cost?


  • if you apply online the Resident Return Visa cost is $360
  • if you apply via post the Resident Return Visa cost is $80

Resident Return Visa Refused


If your Resident Return visa application is refused, you may have to consider applying again for another permanent visa, such as a Former Resident visa, a family visa or a skilled visa. You will be provided with information regarding your eligibility for any merits review processes.

Former Resident Return Visa

What is the Australia Former Resident Return Visa?


the Former Resident Return Visa allows resettlement of former Australian permanent residents and persons who served in the Australian Armed Forces before 1981. The formal name for this visa is Australian Immigration subclass 151.


Former Resident Return Visa Eligibility


The subclass 151 Former Resident return Visa has strict requirements. To make a successful 151 Return Visa application an applicant must prove:


  • to have spent nine of your first 18 years in Australia as a permanent resident or
  • completed three months of service in the Australian Armed Forces before 19 January 1981


Former Resident Return Visa benefits


Former Resident Return Visa holders and their immediate family can enjoy the following benefits in Australia:


  • Australia permanent residence
  • live and work in Australia
  • study in Australia
  • access to Medicare
  • access to Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme (PBS)
  • access social security payments
  • eligible for Australian citizenship
  • sponsor people for permanent residence

Documents Required for the Former Resident Return Visa

The following documents are required for a subclass 151 application


Evidence of your ties with Australia while you have been living overseas, such as:


  • date of arrival in, and departure from, Australia (passport pages)
  • school attendance (school reports or information from the Department of Education)
  • business, cultural or personal ties (evidence of business or property ownership, social or professional memberships, personal correspondence)
  • regular correspondence with relatives or friends in Australia
  • frequent visits to Australia for business, cultural or personal reasons
  • economic or business interests in Australia, with proof of an ongoing and active interest


Partner documents for subclass 151 application


  • identity documents
  • character documents
  • documents about other relationships
  • your current marriage certificate or
  • enough documents to prove you have been in a de facto relationship with your partner for at least 12 months
  • joint bank account statements
  • billing accounts in joint names
  • joint leases or mortgages
  • documents that show your partner has lived at the same address as you

Defense Service Documents if you are applying having served at least 3 months in the Australian armed forces prior to 1981


  • photo
  • passport
  • personal details
  • signature
  • passport issue and expiry dates
  • proof of change of name, if applicable
  • a marriage or divorce certificate if applicable
Subject Matter Expert at Migration Made Simple | Website | + posts

Jacqueline Chow is an international immigration and visa expert with over 15 years of experience in the field. With a background in law and a passion for helping people, Jacqueline has built a reputation as a trusted and reliable source of information and advice on all aspects of immigration and visas. She has worked with clients from all over the world, including high-net-worth individuals, professionals, skilled workers and families. As a sought-after speaker and commentator Jacqueline has been featured in various media outlets and has given talks on immigration and visas at conferences and events around the world.