From Student to Resident: Temporary Graduate Visa (Subclass 485)
Australia has always been an attractive destination for students around the world because of its high-quality education system and welcoming environment. To encourage international students to stay in Australia after completing their studies, the Australian government introduced the Graduate visa (subclass 485) in 2008. This visa allows international students to work, study or live in Australia for a temporary period after their studies have completed. In this article, we will discuss the Temporary Graduate subclass 485 visa, who is eligible, how to apply and the pathway to permanent residency and Australian citizenship.
What is the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)?
The Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa is a temporary visa that allows international students who have recently completed their studies in Australia to remain in the country for a temporary period. The visa has two streams: the Graduate Work stream and the Post Study Work stream.
The Graduate Work stream is for international students who have completed their studies in Australia and have an occupation on the skilled occupation list. This visa allows the student to live and work in Australia for up to 18 months.
The Post Study Work stream is for international students who have completed a Bachelor’s, Masters or Doctorate degree from an Australian educational institution. The duration of this visa varies depending on the level of education the student has completed. It allows the student to work, study and live in Australia for two to four years.
Who is eligible for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)?
To be eligible for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485), the applicant must meet certain criteria. The general requirements for both streams are:
- Be under 50 years of age
- Hold an eligible student visa (subclass 500)
- Have completed an eligible course of study in Australia
- Meet the English language requirements
- Meet the health and character requirements
In addition to the general requirements, the Graduate Work stream applicants must have:
- Completed a trade qualification or degree at the Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) level 7 or above
- Nominated an occupation on the relevant skilled occupation list
- Obtained a skills assessment in their nominated occupation from a relevant assessing authority
For the Post-Study Work stream, the applicant must have:
- Completed a Bachelor’s, Masters or Doctorate degree at an Australian educational institution
- Graduated within the last six months or will graduate soon
- Applied for the visa within six months of the course completion
How to apply for the Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485)?
To apply for the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa the applicant needs to submit an online application.
The following are the steps to apply:
- Gather the necessary documents, such as passport, English language test result, health examination result, police clearance certificate and skill assessment (for Graduate Work stream applicants).
- Create an ImmiAccount on the Department of Home Affairs website.
- Fill out the online application form and attach the required documents.
- Pay the visa application fee.
- Submit the application.
The processing time for the Subclass 485 visa is between 80 to 90 days.